Thursday 2 June 2005

Part 7 - I want to go to bed!!

 Hi everyone!!  I shan't waffle on today - although Pete has now decided to turn the film into a musical LOL........and Jim got the job he applied for!  Anyway.............

PART 7 BIRMINGHAM CONT.......

Outside the venue there was literally 4 of us, Trina, Michelle, myself and some random bloke.  Jamie, Spike and Danny left the building and got on the bus.  Roger came out not long after them and I was so shocked and stunned that he that he was walking in front of me that I didn't say anything or ask him for anything.  By the time I realised it was actually him, he was already on the bus.  I was quite annoyed with myself by this point!!   Michelle had a word with Paul and his missus, then we decided to go and find a taxi.  Of course by this time most of the crowds had left and so had the taxi's.  I stupidly suggested which way we should go and we ended up walking for about 1/2 an hour round the whole of the NEC!!  Eventually we found a security point and asked the bloke there where we could find a taxi or if he had a number for a company.  (We didn't even have that at this point!!)  He said if we walk down a little bit that way we'd come across one coz he'd just let one or two in!!  Fair enough!!  Tempers were beginning to fray between myself and Trina but we followed his instructions.  That was until Michelle thought she knew better and decided we should go to the Hilton and call one from there, so we felt obligied to follow her, which we did and eventually manage to convince her that's a stupid idea and we should do what the bloke suggested.

We finally get to where that bloke said to go and there was NO taxis waiting.  Stressed, tired and utterly peed off, I get Trina to call enquiries for a 24 hour cab company.  This is fine, until they tell her they can only pick us up from security point 2!!  WTF is security point 2 is what we wondered next.  So off we go again, wandering round the NEC............Michelle disappears AGAIN, but this time towards another hotel.  I agree to go with her this time and tell Trina to get the cab to pick us up from there.  It just so happened to be the hotel where all our mates were staying.  We didn't wake them up though.........Our cab finally turns up and we get to the Travel Lodge.  We were only there for a few hours before the alarm went off again............arrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

07/05/05 - CARDIFF INTERNATIONAL ARENA

I think the alarm went off at 4.30am.  Our train was due to leave at around 6am, and we had a taxi booked which took us to Birmingham International station.  Walk into the station, look at the board, there is NO train leaving from that station at that time going to Cardiff!!  Trina didn't consider there is actually TWO train stations at Birmingham when she enquired about it!!  So we had to quickly call the cab company back and try and make it across Birmingham in time for the train.  Trina and I were both starting to suffer with colds by this point, our throats were sore and our noses were getting blocked.  But you have to feel sorry for the taxi driver who had to listen to Michelle and me singing Queen songs at 5am............LOL.........can life get any better!!    All through these gigs we weren't having breakfast or a cup of tea before we left and that is very unlike me!!  Have to have a cup of tea before I leave the house :-)

Anyway we make it to Birmingham New Street in time and there is hardly anyone on the train, which means we have enough space to sleep lol........The ticket bloke on the train made us laugh though, plus he was really sweet.  We asked him if there was a refreshment trolley on board, he said there wasn't but told us there was a stop which lasted about 15/20 minutes and that we would have enough time to get something, which we did!!  Later he spoke to us about what we were up to, once we told him we were Queen fans he wouldn't stop trying (badly) to sing Bohemian Rhapsody to us - bless him!!  He also let Michelle get out and have a fag at one stop.  We got to Cardiff about 2 hours later around 8ish.  Got into a taxi which took us toour hotel and checked in.  The lady who checked us in was nice, we found out she was going to the gig too.....When she found out we were queueing all day she asked 'what do you do when you want the toilet?' - what a stupid question LOL.........

We clambered back into the waiting taxi and he took us to the venue.  We had quite a shock when we got there as we were first!!  WOOHOO........  So far at every gig Jules and Vern had been first and everyone were always trying to beat them, but we had finally managed it.  I was very impressed, made getting up at 4 more worth it lol............Michelle abandoned us and stayed round the back to talk to the crew.  Trina and I settled in for a long day of queueing!!  Next to arrive was Vern and Julie with Jamie, eventually Jules would be sitting in her 'moon' chair and Jamie would be snuggled up under a blanket which she took from her hotel room.  Cat, Sarah, Gavin, Andy (who had fab trousers on that day), and Becky turned up next.  Becky had brought things to sit on, Cat got her sleeping bag out and was in that most of the day.  Sarah did not feel very well at all and couldn't stop shaking!!  Fairy and Funster turned up eventually.  Funster had twisted her ankle in Newcastle and apparently it was playing her up.  The whole gang ws together in their rightful place by the door

Madness really did strike during this wait!!  Everytime one of the trucks went past we all shouted and waved to the driver LOL.........don't ask me why - seemed like fun at the time!!  We were all coming down with colds but it didn't help that where we were waiting the sun was not shining, plus the wind was cold!!  The queue kept growing during the day.......

Security people came out and pushed the queue back down the steps.  Another venue with two sets of doors which they were gonna let people in.  I think we managed to get most people queuing behind us!!  I was having fun telling people to get to the back.  I had more reason to do this as I was one of the first to arrive :-)  At least at the bottom of the steps meant we were queued in the sunshine.  But just when we think we're sorted and settled the security bloke comes down the steps and tells us women have to go one way and blokes the other.  Chaos ensued!!  Trina and I were pushed back, but it was only our mates in front of us so I wasn't too bothered.  Well that's a bit of a lie, it was about that time I start to panic, will I make it to the barrier?  Will someone push me over?? etc....... Gigging does nothing for the nerves believe me LOL.......

Whilst we were waiting Jim Beach (manager) walked through the entrance bit so we all shouted to him and Gavin said something about his jumper lol....It was quite funny coz he rolled his eyes at us and smiled.  Eventually the bloke at the top of the stairs told us we could go in, mad rush!!  I suddenly was aware that Fairy was getting pushed back, so I grabbed hold of her hand and made a mad dash up the stairs and into the hall.  It's quite funny when you think about it, coz Trina wasn't feeling very well and Funster had a bad foot and they both managed to get in before Fairy and me!!  I held onto her until we got to the barrier just to make sure she got in ok. 

Between the stage and the barrier, the stewards (or security as I like to call them ;-) come and stand.  We had a woman opposite the four of us ie: funster, fairy me and trina.  Fairy asked her if she could put her bag on the ledge behind the barrier and the woman said 'No I don't wanna break my leg on your bag.'   At some point after this some comment was made about the woman coz not long afterwards I looked again and there was a bloke standing in front of us.  He was nice and we got to talking to him.  Apparently he had seen Queen at Knebworth in '86.  I asked him if he'd had a good view, he said that apart from the other 125,000 people there he would've done.  He also said something about how he was stood near the inflatable Brian.  Trina made a joke about how it wouldn't be much different that night then.  I also asked him if he was gonna enjoy the show.  Apparently when they are working they are not allowed to show that they are enjoying themselves.  Also during the wait I felt ill and felt like I was going to be sick, but as soon as the band came on I forgot all about that.

Find out whether I enjoyed the gig next episode :-)  I probably won't update again until Saturday now that's why I've given you a longer entry today!!

Take care peeps xx

  JEN

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You meet an interesting bunch of people on your travels, and finally you were first in the queue, well done.  I'm loving reading about it, you write so well.  What's a moon chair look like.  There's a little chaos in the travel organizing but seems it's turned out to be fun........except for feeling fluey and icky.~xxR

Anonymous said...

Very interesting as always. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

Yay for being first in the queue!!
I'm betting that you did enjoy the gig, of course you did, you did didn't you?!
Looking forward to the next episode :o)
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

Can`t wait to find out if you enjoyed the gig -  you must have! Have a great weekend!  :-)

Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

You certainly do have to be fit for these tours! I love the way you meet all the same people at the queues - all the hardened veterans! It must be a great way of making friends. Hope the coming colds didn't put a damper on things at Cardiff - you do need to look after yourself during all these ordeals. Making sure you have a proper breakfast and a hot drink before you begin each day would be a start! No wonder you felt sick at times!

David.