Thursday 7 September 2006

More.......

I know these are long entries but I am going away for the weekend so you've got all that time to catch up ;-) aren't I kind LOL.............

Sunday continued..........

After much discussion (as we assumed there was going to be more mooshing during the foo’s) we decided to stay where we were until it got worse again!!  There was a rather large break this time with more people heading out and more and more people heading in.  We tried sitting down but eventually I gave up!!  Sarah continued to sit though – she needed to conserve her energy, but this bloke next to her kept making pointed digs about her being sat down and that if she was to stand up 5 people could stand there!!  I was getting angry with him and he must’ve been taller than me and built bigger too!!  I was feelin’ no fear, until Trina joined in.  Then it’s usually a case of shhhh, keep your head down and pretend you didn’t say anything………….lol I’m such a wimp really!!……….  These people were let past us but they couldn’t move any further forward so stood directly in front of us.  I was like ‘oh no don’t think so’ and tried to get them to move on as there were four of them and all about six foot tall apart from this one bloke.  Unfortunately they were really nice and kept talking to Trina and Wayne (who had let them through may I add), and the rather large bloke in front of me said that I could go in front.  I declined as on thinking about it my view would still be just as bad!!  I wish I was taller!!  Or at least had a barrier to lean on ;-)
 
The waiting got longer and longer (or at least felt like it!!)  At one point when I turned round to look at the crowd behind us this bloke let out this rather large sigh, which I found very amusing!!  There was a sign that the wait was getting shorter when they unveiled the foo’s banner at the top which was met with great applause ………….but no, this was a decoy to the amount of time we did have to wait.  Unfortunately the music in between the bands did nothing to soothe me as half the time you couldn’t tell what it was but they did play Gnarls Barclays Crazy which softened me for a few mins, but it was like a remix version and wasn’t as good………………….  My moaning and a sudden wave of tiredness continued.  Even the excitement of who was going to win the £2 wasn’t taking my mind off the fact that my feet were now killing me!!  I couldn’t carry on, I was tired – couldn’t stop yawning, aching all over, was getting annoyed with everyone and everything around me, was wet (people were chucking stuff all the time – god knows what!!) and starting to think I was feelin’ ill.  I couldn’t join in with the conversations going on and tried to get sympathy from Trina but to no joy!!
 
Just when I was reaching the last piece of strength in my body sometime between 9 – 9.30pm (Wayne won the pool for those of you who are interested!) A video was playing on the main screens, the excitement was building and suddenly the sounds of In Your Honour started coming out of the speakers.  A sudden burst of energy and excitement went washing over me!!  I couldn’t believe it – we’d been talking about them doing that song first and they did and it was unbelievable!!  As suspected I couldn’t see a thing – but this didn’t stop me from enjoying myself.  At some point the boys behind Sarah and I started mooshing – not quite as bad as what had happened during the Strokes but still rather annoying!!  About 3 or 4 songs in Wayne came and stood where Sarah was, and Trina moved me to where she had been standing (apparently trying to protect me lol) Wayne was more used to mooshers than we were and could put up with them doing it!!  (My view was still no better L lol – just never satisfied am I??)
 
When I wrote up my experiences at the QPR gigs I just told you the highlights and I think that’s what I’ll do now.  If I was to spout on anymore this could turn into a short novel lol……………..So here’s the highlights:
 
During one of the pauses Dave was talking to us about how they had played a week of gigs over here in the UK supposedly being the best at Hyde Park the day before (god knows why they added Manchester to their list but still…………) which was met by a chorus of boo’s.  I expect most of the boos were for the fact that it was north vs. south but Trina and I were booing for different reasons ………..(damn you Brian and roger lol)  After the boo’s had stopped he said very loudly ‘The crowd sucked’  which was met by loud applause, which is even funnier when you think some of those that had been at that gig where at this one too…..Then he went on about all the people they had play with them such as Queens of the Stone Age, Motor……….and his mic cut out!!  It was so funny – his face was a picture (which Trina managed to capture), even when the roadie came and changed it he just kept looking at this mic – (For info:  I could see that no probsJ) Once the mic had been changed he said ‘thanks Dave, everyone say thanks Dave’ so we did (to the roadie, he wasn’t thanking himself lol)!!  Anyway he went on more about the Hyde Park gig and who had turned up (but didn’t mention Queen???!!!).  He did mention at some point there was no better way than spending fathers day then in Manchester at that moment J  Bless him!!
 
They played loads of songs and most of them I surprised myself by knowing most of the words too as well.  Not having a very good view did not dampen my spirits so I threw myself into enjoying the gig as much as possible.  Jumping up and down, screaming (or is that trying to sing out of key??) and head banging.  Trina told me afterwards that the people in front were well impressed by me, probably because I was dieing before they came on and here I was a maniac!!  We needn’t have worried about atmosphere either as it was so good where we were standing!!
 
During another pause he thanked us for waiting in the rain and started saying that next time there should be free beer for everyone (applause) but that wasn’t going to happen (boooo) so he compromised and promised us one free beer each (yay).  Then started going on about how it would be a benefit concert, I was too busy videoing the speech so I missed what he said…. (That’s my excuse anyway!!)  He thanked the support bands and said that he saw us show them some love!! (How American lol)  Such as Eagles of Death metal (cheers), The Subways (more cheers), Angels and Airwaves (uh-oh boos) he was not amused at us booing and said something like they were his friends and anyone who wanted to argue about it could meet him backstage for a fight (I have to admit that I was a willing candidate for that ;-) and so on……………He also introduced us to the band, doing each one by saying ‘that’s Chris Shifflet on guitar, everybody say hi Chris’  ‘that’s Taylor Hawkins on drums everybody say hi Taylor’  ‘that’s Nate Mendel on bass everybody say hi Nate’  it was quite amusing!!  When Taylor did a drum thingy, Dave went on about him being the best drummer in the world and I did actually boo that lol……….No-one’s better that Roger!!
 
Taylor came to the front to sing ‘Cold Day in the Sun’ but before he started singing he did the ‘yay oh’s’ that Freddie used to do – Trina and I went berserk and screamed louder than we had all evening.
 
The tall people in front of me offered to take some pics for me as I was just holding my camera up and hoping for the best.  When Dave came out to the end of the catwalk for the last song, the lady took my camera and got a shot of just his legs ……..they told me I should’ve kept that one but I deleted it.  The next one she took I kept but it has a rather large hand in it – I should point out it’s not my hand!!
 
When Everlong finished fireworks started going off and signalled the end of the gig.  I was definitely feeling on a Foo High – it was the best gig ever and I was so glad that I had been there with Wayne, Trina and Sarah.  It was the BEST!!
 
We made our way out to the entrance to try and find a taxi.  My legs could hardly move but we managed to get out and have some chips J  Unfortunately all traffic around the cricket ground had been stopped so we hadto walk quite a way to find a taxi.  Trina kept trying the number our earlier driver had given her but they told her she probably wouldn’t get one.  Halfway along this road and crossing over I asked a policeman where we would be able to find a taxi, his response was ‘not here’!!  So helpful – and informed us to continue down that road to the traffic lights.  So we did!!
 
After much arguing, walking around, feeling tired and Trina begging to the aforementioned taxi company we finally got a taxi.  It had been an hour and a half wait!!  There had been other taxis but these where the ones we had been told to avoid!!  The driver wasn’t our original bloke from the morning but he was really nice and chatty.
 
We eventually got back to the hotel around 12ish/1ish and started watching highlights of the download festival on TV.  We even managed to remember most of the songs that were in the set list.
 
In Your Honour/This Is A Call/Monkey Wrench/My Hero/Up In Arms/Everlong/Stacked Actors/Breakout/Learn To Fly/Generator/All My Life/Times Like These/No Way Back/Best of You/DOA/Cold Day In The Sun/The One (not necessarily in that order!! I know they started with In Your Honour and finished with Everlong)
 
Have a good weekend peeps xx
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You going again to claim your free beer then?! Lol! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

sounds great fun.
Hope you have a nice weekend Love Conniex