Tuesday 20 September 2005

The Cryptic Clue Quiz

Evenin' all and we start off on a sad note!!  Yes my counter is messed up - It's sad to log in and see it's saying my journal has only be read 17 times since last year It's been read more than that I swear!!    Anyhoo enough of my misery and onto more fun things!!  You'll all be glad to know I have bananas :-)  My team leader went to Tesco's at lunchtime and asked if there was anything I want  *big grin*  I feel complete now!!

So I promised you a quiz!!  I think I might make this a weekly feature - something different and something fun.  I have a pub quiz book that I used to use when I was quiz master in a chat on a Friday night but I don't go there anymore!!  So let's see if this goes down well and I'll think about it!!  Have a go - even if it's just for fun and email me your answers.  I'll let you know how you've done as soon as I've got the answer sheet..............(I have a feelin' Pauline thought I was gonna have a go so I suppose I better LOL........) I won't cheat reading your answers - honest :-)

CRYPTIC TOWN/CITY NAMES (ALL IN ENGLAND)

Decfipher the following to name these Towns/Cities in the British Isles for example......communist Woman = Redruth!!

1 - Fruity Entrance   Appledore

2 - The Whole Weight  Alton

3 - At Anchor in a meadow  Arborfield

4 - Racing Water Heater  Ascot

5 - Burnt out brewing town  Ashburton

6 - What Oliver asked  Aviemore

7 - Messing up a suitcase with a gun  Bagshot

8 - Surely not a sausage  Bangor

9 - Has a fair head of hair  Barnet

10 - Useful one wheeled vehicle really hot  Barrow in Furness

11 - At least once a day - or smell  Bath

12 - A currant favourite  Eccles

13 - Fix it firmly  Bolton

14 - Could be head churchman of NZ capital  Bishop Auckland

15 - Drill into a bacon tree  Borehamwood

16 - Chiefs cranulated house a bit wet at times  Boscastle

17 - Discharges a fletcher's produce  Bow

18 - Quick dollar  Buckfast

19 - Near the Navy  Byfleet

20 - Summer Fruits not quite galloping  Canterbury

I think that's the hard one - this one's a bit easier coz I got one on this one LOL...........

1) Pepper's companion tree  Saltash

2) Up to date weighty prior  Newton Abbot

3) Life's journey completed  Gravesend

4) Highway man's demand  Andover

5) Godiva's Territory  Coventry

6) A baby at shaldon's Landmark  Totnes

7) Jesus' Home  Christchurch

8) To Inter in the earth  Bury

9) Irish or Scotch - neither  Rye

10) High Mooring Point  Torquay

11) No Food Devoured  Nuneaton

12) First of the three R's  Reading

13) Rowing Eight  Crewe

14) Cheerful Charlie  Chester

15) Illuminating Weight  Brighton

16) Naval Oak  Fleetwood

17) Crocodile  Dundee

18) Hasty Cereal  Runcorn

19) Ride a cock horse here  Banbury

20) Offal in the water  Liverpool

Well that's your lot!!   Don't forget if your taking part email your answers don't put them in the comments coz you don't want everyone else to read them do you ;-)

Good luck!!  by the way don't worry you can't do any worse than I'm doing LOL............

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOo I love things like this :)

Anonymous said...

It's my bedtime now. I'll have a go at this tomorrow.
Nighty night
Phil

Anonymous said...

unlike wobbly below I hate these I feel really stupid and my excuse is they are all in Enghland..... ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sooooo not good at this kind of thing, lol!!
I did get No. 19 though, it's not far from here :o)
Sorry about your counter, someone else - was it Jeannette? - had a problem with their counter the other day.  If you visit the 'here to help' journal, I think there's a way to get your real number back :o) :o) :o)
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

Your counter joined mine!  I agree it is sad because all those hits represent visits from our friends. I have lost over 38,000 hits and that hurts!  I cannot understand why aol cannot manage a little thing like counters.  We pay them enough!  Will have a go at the quiz later on.

Anonymous said...

HeHe!  I got number 12, but as for the others, I`ll get Jim to do them, he`s the one whose good at cryptic things!   Hoorah for the bananas...lol! :-)

Sandra xxxx

Anonymous said...

The counter thing is down to little work going on at the AOL HQ - http://journals.aol.com/journalseditor/magicsmoke/entries/622

So now your counter could read into the millions!

The quiz from hell. Brain hurts, and that's after the first one. Is using a road atlas cheating?

Anonymous said...

I'm rubbish at this kind of thing....but I might have a go......it's a good idea though!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/irisclyde/LaDolceVita