Monday 22 May 2006

Dedicated to Sweep

Hi everyone ~ I wasn't going to do an entry today as nothing really great had happened but I got a call from mum tonight and felt I should do an entry :-(
 
R.I.P SWEEP 22/05/2006
Sweep came to our household when we lived in a village called Musbury here in Devon.  We already had a cat called Sooty and I choose to call our new little Yorkshire Terrior Sweep :-)  We'd tried once before to have a dog but as it kept jumping up on me and I was only little at the time it didn't work out.  I was a lot older when we got Sweep and he was such a cute little bundle you couldn't be scared of this one!!  I remember he fitted in the palm of your hand when we first got him :-)
 
As mum would sometimes work long hours, I would be the one who would take him for walks.  Musbury had great lanes for wandering off to take him too.  He was always one for lagging behind to sniff pretty much every blade of grass.  Often he would roll in things and smell disgusting.
 
He didn't like his bath times and didn't much like the hair dryer.  He hated being taken for walks in the rain, he probably sensed our displeasure at having to take him, lol........He was a funny little character who always wanted to eat what we were eating and wouldn't stop yapping at you until you caved in.  Even if you knew best that he wouldn't like it!!
 
Mum and I moved to the town of Axminster, Sooty our cat had passed away by this point but Sweep came with us.  He fitted in well and loved all the new places to explore.  He was such a mummy's dog.  She was forever telling him to stop getting under her feet.  At night times he knew when it was time for bed and would get into his basket which was in the corner of the kitchen.  He loved those chewy bones and would sit there for ages with them.  The best thing he used to do was bury them indoors.  He wouldn't actually bury them but he would place them by the wall and then move his head as if he was burying it!!  I used to tease him a lot and go and pick it straight up, he would look at me as if to say how did you get that I buried that!!  LOL..........
 
He was great fun to play with and would often growl if you had his toy.  He had so many toys scattered all over the kitchen and lounge area :-)  He never bit any of us ~ or at least I don't have any recollection of it!! 
 
Once when he was out walking with mum and some other dogs he slipped off the grassy bit into the river and mum panicked coz she couldn't reach him.  Needless to say he was okay but it was a bit scary!!
 
He was friendly to everyone and everything - except probably bigger dogs but once he knew they were friend not foe he was fine :-)
 
A brave little boy towards the end.
 
 
We shall miss you Sweep xx
 
 
P.s I was hoping to scan some more pics in but unfortunately my scanner is not currently plugged in ~ perhaps tomorrow :-)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear about Sweep dying. He sounded a lovely little soul. You actually got an alert for this one. Jeannette xx

Anonymous said...

Aww Jen, so sorry (((( hugs for u and your Mum )))).  Sweep looks a character in his shades.  So so sorry. Rache

Anonymous said...

aww poor baby he was a cutie.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your dog passing away it is such a loss. The house seems so empty even if they did not take up much space. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

Aww, what a little sweetheart.  I'm so sorry m'dear.  (((((((((( ))))))))))
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

Aww, poor Sweep.  Rest in peace little chap.
Lovely memories Jen.
Hugs

Anonymous said...

As a postman I'm not much fond of dogs, especially the little ones, lol, they're usually the worst. But I have to say I can't resist this little guy in his cool shades. Gawd bless 'im.
B. x

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen I am so sorry ,dear little sweep you will miss him .....Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen,  I`m so sorry to hear about Sweep.  He was obviously with you all your growing up years and I know you and your Mum are going to miss him so much.  He looked a lovely little thing, bless him.

Sandra xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Oh bless. I'm going to need therepy when my two die.

Anonymous said...

That was a thoughful tribute to Sweep.    I have my fourth dog now and losing one is an awful feeling.    We become so attached to them and they have their live's to live out and then they are gone.    After many years pass we can look back on all the pleasure they brought us and measure our own passing into the stages of life.   My dog Salty is the only one that has the growl when I try to take his bone.   I can put my fingers in his mouth while he's holding the bone and know that he would not bite me.     The only reason he barks when someone enters the yard and he is in his pen is that he wants to go and get attention and jump up on them in excitement.     My former dogs were: Uriah, Chile, and Rascal.    What great friends for us humans.    mark