Wednesday 17 May 2006

Convention Part 3

Day 3


Was planning to have a bit of a lie-in as yet again we didn’t have anything to do during the day.  Yet again we heard voices so Trina got up and started her motherly duties once again.  The weather outside was bright sunshine again which was a good start to the day, even though we’d been forecasted rain and thunderstorms.  We switched on QTV and had a relaxing start.  Although I was suffering with my throat that day, it felt very sore and even after having a good ol’ cup of tea it didn’t make it any better!!  Wendy gave me a throat sweet though and that definitely helped.

Eventually the other chalets started emerging and we all agreed to wander over to the ballroom and watch ‘Super Live in Japan.’  I had not seen this DVD although something like it had been made available as a download (tut tut), but I couldn’t download it as it would’ve taken up too much disk space!! It was showing about 12pm so we made our way over to the ballroom and made ourselves comfortable on the floor.  There was hardly anyone else there!!  I was starting to get the impression how much people didn’t like Queen/Paul Rodgers which was a shame I thought.  The previous night when Keith had mentioned the DVD and the tour of last year, people behind us had booed!!  I don’t understand these people, but at the same time I can see why they do it!!  Anyway I shan’t go into that conversation – I sat next to Julie and Vern who were actually at the show that we were watching and Julie kept giving me insights into what it was like etc……  At one point we could actually see them too :-)  It was strange watching this gig and comparing it to the one which had been recorded in Sheffield.  The Japan audience were quiet – no-one shouting out anything, they just sat and listened.  Whereas the Sheffield DVD is like a bunch of rowdy drunks – it’s quite shameful really!!  The band was more on fire too and seemed to be really enjoying it!!  I was jealous and wished I could’ve been there to experience it!!   At one point I had to go and get a drink etc, so I left everyone in the ballroom and wandered round to the shop.  When I was going into the ladies I bumped into someone I had been trying to avoid all weekend.  To my surprise though she was pleasant and even said that I should pop over to their group and say hello.  This put me on slight high for the rest of the day, knowing that I had literally been worrying for no reason at all, which is just typical of me.   As I went back to the ballroom to join the others I got a whiff of the restaurant cooking their Sunday roast mmmmm……………I did not partake in this though!!

When the DVD finished we all headed back to the chalets.  Dan had a great idea of getting everyone together for a group photo.  By this point it had got a bit windy and a bit chilly but everyone gathered on the grass outside our chalets.  It turned out to be quite funny; everyone set their cameras up on timers and then ran back, or in Andy’s case slid back to get in the photo.  As we were crouching down in front Marianne fell over so that started chanting of ‘You fell over’ which made us laugh even more!!  It’s a great photo of everyone and you’ll see it when I do eventually post the photos, I know you can’t wait to see them lol…………..

After the photo was taken a small break at the chalets for drinks and cake (Dan’s gran’s cake which we still hadn’t eaten, not that I got a piece lol), we headed back to the ballroom.  More guests were speaking, one bloke was already in the middle of his speech but I can’t remember his name!!  I remember thinking he was very camp though LOL…..  Next was a guest who had turned up last year by the name of Ken Testi.  He was manager of Freddie’s first band Wreckage, so that was quite interesting.  He hadn’t realised he was going up on stage again but they had managed to convince them.  At this point we were informed that the tribute band for that evening would be late setting up as they were stuck in Birmingham or somewhere like that.  They introduced their next guest Jamie Moses – he played rhythm guitar on the QPR tour.  Before he came on they played a snippet of him singing Puff the Magic Dragon from his recent birthday party, which was really funny as he was slightly merry ;-)  He came on stage and performed a few songs including the Beer song – I must share the lyrics of that one with you one day it’s brilliant and you’ll be able to sing along as you’ll know the tune its set too ;-)  He was great though he had quite a bit of heckling from our lot which was funny and he played up too.  He told us the story of Brian falling down in one of the American shows and how they tried to make everyone aware the hole was there but of course Paul fell down there as well.  He finished off with his rendition of Purple Rain which was lovely.  Sarah spent nearly the whole session holding her phone up for her mum to hear lol………

After Jamie I think we went back to the chalet to get something to eat and change for the evening.  We all made sure we were back in the ballroom for the raffle.  Whilst there we managed to get yet another group photo but this one was of the girls in our chalet :-)  The raffle tickets were drawn but alas we didn’t win anything.  I can’t remember whether Julie and Vern did or not as they had brought so many!!  Didn’t win anything with the MPT raffle either boooooo :-(  Next was a bit of a tear-jerker, Jacky and her sister Val have been running the fan club for ages, but because of dwindling numbers, they’ve had to move out of their offices, etc etc…….Jacky has had to let Val go :-(  They presented her with a pressie that we all gave a donation too and bunches of flowers to them both from the arena team.  Keith had to read out Jacky’s speech as she was too tearful to do it.  It’s such a shame and there’s a lot of underlying stuff surrounding it so I won’t go into that.  Anyway onwards and next was the tribute band MayQueens.  Our friend’s on the Roger board had been raving about them but I can’t say I was impressed.  Slightly later on when they had an opera singer with them it got a bit more interesting but to start off I was bored!!  Eventually we gave up standing there listening to them and ventured into the arcade.  By this point Sarah (who was slightly tipsy had gone back to the chalet with Trina).  In the arcade we found Emma on a driving game and she challenged Gavin to a stint.  Libby and Brandon were there too!!  Gavin didn’t do too badly so it became a bit of a contest between them to see who could drive the best.  They gave up on this idea soon, by this point Trina and Sarah had meandered back.  Trina had left her bag with me and when I looked at her mobile she’d had a couple of texts, one from Jamie asking if she could join them back at the chalet.  It was a bit late for me to be reading that lol……………………..

I'm going to split this entry into two - hopefully you'll get an alert for it but also this way you can read this bit and then come back later and read the rest ;-) Aren't I kind lol..........

No comments: