Monday 15 May 2006

Convention Part 2

Before I continue with my convention write up - have you seen the pic of Paddy on the welcome screen??  He's one of the stars that's posed naked for testicular cancer and OH MY GOD!!  That was a nice round off to the day ;-)  For those of you that missed it I shall paste it at the end of this entry xx

Day 2 - Saturday

It started off fairly well – although we were still fairly tired from the night before!!  Trina and I were sharing a bedroom, Pam and Sam were in the other one and Jamie was on the sofa.  Trina and I were awoken to voices in the living room, so we went out to find out what was going on.  Sam was saying about how she’d been woken up by two beatles in her bed and did anyone else have any??  The response was no!!  As we were all up Trina (being mother), started breakfast, bacon sarnies all round, except for Sam who had Philadelphia on toast.  The conversation stayed on Sam and her beatles (which she would eventually chuck over the balcony).  It was a pleasant start to the day.

First item on the agenda was the market place.  Fans bring their records, merchandise and anything else that they don’t want or even make, to sell.  I had a set limit and started off well.  The jumper I wanted was being sold for a reduced price of £15.00.  I kept teasing Trina about this as she paid £40 for hers lol…….*evil laughter* my other main objective was to find some tour programmes or something like that.  Getting a bit frustrated coz I couldn’t find anything I wanted, we went to have a look at the official merchandise stall, whilst we were having a look Trina bumped into old friends Margaret and John, and stood gossiping for nearly an hour.  Jamie had joined us by this point and we were stood waiting for Trina to finish her conversation.  Eventually she did but apart from raffle tickets from the MPT stall there was nothing else we wanted so wandered back to the main market place.

Margaret and John had followed us there and Trina stood gossiping to them for another half an hour.  By this point Jamie had disappeared and Amy had turned up, she was new to the market place so wanted a bit of advice.  She soon disappeared too, and when Trina finished talking we wandered around again.  I brought myself a Fat Bottomed Girls t-shirt which was also reduced and ended up splitting the cost of some DVD’s and Cd’s which were buy 3 get one free J  I also ended up getting a really early tour programme but the bloke we brought it from first said £15 then as we were handing the money over he changed his mind to £20 grrrrrr………  After that we gave up and went back to the chalet where we found the rest of the group watching one of the DVD’s Jamie had purchased earlier.  As soon as I entered the chalet Sarah said ‘Oh my god you’ve got to listen to this’ and they played the most loveliest Roger moment of the weekend so far J  They were all trying to get it onto their phones as a ring tone or message tone.  Unfortunately my mobile is useless and won’t do high-tech things like that!!  We all sat around having sarnies etc deciding what we were gonna do for the rest of the day.  The problem is that unless you are taking part in some sporting event the day can get quite boring.  Although the chalets do have QTV most of it you’ve seen before or own so you don’t feel like watching that.  With no money you can’t afford to spend all your spare time in the arcade.

Eventually we all started to wander over for the showing of ‘Return of the Champions’ on the big screen (I was chuffed I would get to see myself on the big screen lol), at the bottom of the chalet steps, Becky, Dave, Rosie, her boyfriend (who I can’t remember the name of), Roz, James and possibly Dan (my memory is terrible), were painting their tram for the fancy dress later that day.  So after a few photos of that were taken we headed off to the ballroom to watch the dvd.  Trina managed to have a word with Jackie about the fancy dress though, coz we were all under the impression that they used to have a Queen themed one then the other theme on a different night, but there had been no mention of this in the programme!!  According to Jacky that was wrong and they had never done that (yeah right!!)  Trina went on to explain to here that we hadn't bothered with the Xmas theme and gone for Roger's Believe in Yourself.  At the end of the song he mutters loads of things and items and people andwe had to pick something from the list to dress up as!!  Jacky laughed and said she was gonna point us out for being stupid and wearing Queen dress instead!!  Trina and the rest of the gang thought that was hysterical - not me though I hasten to add!!  I couldn't think of anything worse lol!! 

Anyway we settled down to watch the dvd, after my bit ;-)  I got bored - well I have seen it before and I was feelin' tired so I went back to the chalet on my own and lied down for a bit, had some convention water (aka Vodka - I can hear your audible gasps - naughty jenny ;-)  and went back to join the girls.  As I did I missed Sam and Funster and I think Jamie going back to the chalet, so I had to walk all the way back as I had the key *tut* We all went back to the ballroom and watched Pheobe (aka Peter Freestone, Freddie's personal assistant) do a Q & A session.  After that we all had to run back and get changed before the auction!!  During my time alone I had convinced myself I did want to do the fancy dress, so with Sam's help (cutting me some eye holes) I was a ghost!!  I would post the list if I knew where it was lol!!

When everyone was ready we went back to the ballroom and sat waiting for the auction.  Before that though they had the mime and Sarah and Jamie decided to enter against these blokes all in Freddie costumes.  Jamie had her blow up hammer, and Sarah used her tree part as a guitar (Wendy/Helena gave them the blow up guitar that they had :-)  It was so funny and I wish I could share the video with you It's the best!!  Sarah actually won in the end and was given a certificate and what I like to call a Jim'll fix it medal - you'll see what i mean in the photos ;-) 

Next was the auction.  Trina sat with Julie and Vern!!  Julie has money and if there's something she wants she will bid on it, so Trina had to negotiate with her, what she wanted to bid on, so they don't bid on the same things - if that makes sense.  Trina won a shirt owned by Roger (which Vern has something to tell her about it but what that is we don't know yet!!  I've not actually seen him wearing it and it smells musty lol - not that I've sniffed it you understand ;-)  Julie and Vern walked away with tons and I think their last total was between £4,000 and £6,000 pounds *shock*  I wish I had the money to do that!! 

After the auction we prepared ourselves for the fancy dress :-)  Our tram had arrived, there were several ghosts including a roger one, a vet, a waste spacing journalist, pirates (not actually mentioned but hey!!), a decidious tree, a lawyer with fees, these were all mentioned at the end of the song.  We looked great but wandering around the ballroom floor with everyone else dressed in xmas gear we looked stupid.  The pontins photographer took our photo and we passed our sign to Jacky so they would know what we were!!  Alas we were robbed!!  We didn't get a number and therefore didn't make it to the finals :-( 

Next came one of the greatest tribute bands ever!!  They played the convention last year and everyone raved about them so Trina and I knew we were in for a treat.  Their argentinian and their english name according to the fanclub is God Save the Queen.  We managed to get near the front and they were awesome.  When I post the pics you'll see the Freddie was meant to be in a tribute band - it's so scary!!  Trina was practically drooling on the stage, she loved him so much.  When they walked off I got him to touch my hand and teased her about it afterwards lol........mean jenny!!  They came back on to do an encore though and he touched her hand afterwards she was very happy.  The roger is funny as he has blond hair and bushey dark eyebrows but in certain angles from behind he did look like him!!  He also touched my hand :-) 

After going back to the chalet for some unknown reason, we came back as the Arena team said they were doing something to mark the 21st anniversary!!  The arena team are fab and usually do stuff like that!!  This year they were going through the last 21 years and marking out things that happened in history and what Queen were up to.  Then some of the team members would come on and mime to a song, for example we had bob the builder complete with Jamies hammer ;-), the cheeky girls or should I say men, etc etc..........They then played Christmas tunes and that was a good laugh :-)  After a few of them and linking arms etc we had the disco.  Apparently Dan went up and requested D.I.S.C.O and YMCA but they wouldn't play them lol.........

After dancing the night away, we decided to head down to the beach.  The majority of us went with some staying behind to get more sleep.  I had never been to prestatyn beach before - how pathetic is that??  Still it was quite an adventure with drunk people walking with us and not being able to see a thing when we got down there!!  We didn't stay long and headed back to go to bed as there was no available chalet to carry on the party!!  That was to bed again at 4am .................... would we ever get some sleep?? 

Part 3 sunday possible tomorrow!!  But for now a treat for the ladies ;-)  or perhaps just for me lol

  mmmmmmmm...............

Sweet dreams peeps xx

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beetles in the bed ooooooh yuk.  I wish I had that kind of money too Jen.  You had a lot of late nights but all worth it. Rache

Anonymous said...

No alert for this at all, not even a measly wireless thingy!! No Jen, course you didn't sniff the shirt, why would we think you'd do that!! Apart from the beetles it sounded like you had a great time! Looking forward to Part 3! Jeannette xx

Anonymous said...

Cool, can I have the shirt ;o)

Anonymous said...

Hello Jen - well i wouldn't mind having John, Paul. George and Ringo in my bed !!!! sounds like you had such a good laugh, can't wait to see the photos!
Luv Jayne x

Anonymous said...

What a day!  Look forward to the next instalment...xx

Anonymous said...

Ooo how long before we get part three .......Jan xx

Anonymous said...

Jen, I haven't been getting alerts for your entries.....good thing I decided to check!!