Wednesday 23 January 2008

Poncho, Poncho Man, I wanna be a poncho man

Hewoooooooooooooooooooooo......................

I swear if I hear the words Continuing Health Care, Direct Debit, Job Evaluation and Lay Down once more I'm going to scream!!  The first three give you an idea of the kind of week I am having at work.............it's a long one huh?  The fourth word is the title of the song that I'm stuck on, on Guitar Hero III grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............. I have practised till I'm blue in the face and although I am progressingly getting better I don't seem to be able to get it up to 4 stars grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............

.............and if that wasn't enough I now appear to have a bruise on my leg!!  God knows where that came from!!  I did knock my knee earlier but it was in a different place...........all I have to say is *ouchies*

So anyway it's Wednesday and Travel Diary is here :o)  To recap last week I left you at V (still!!) on the Sunday morning and we had just seen 606 (secret Foo's gig) on the channel four stage :o)  so let's continue..............Enjoy xx

We wandered over to the JJB tent at 3.30/4pm to see Sinead O'Connor and caught the last of Beverley Knight's set. I had started to wish we had come over earlier as it was sounding very good. Even Wayne was dancing around to it, bless him! Unfortunately for me I was starting to feel crappy and emotional. Trina, bless her cotton socks, went off on a mission. By the time she came back Sinead was on stage, I was by now bored and highly emotional so I started crying ~ very embarrassing!! But hey, I was out of my comfort zone for gods sake!! Apparently whilst she was on her mission these two blokes (she assumed they were gay!!) came up to her and said something about not seeing her for ages, they then spent the next 5 minutes hugging and kissing her!! Very odd but very funny.................By now it was very muddy not just outside but inside the tent too. Sinead was coming to the end of her set and I figured by now that she wasn't going to sing Nothing Compares to You, but just as I said it she sang, 'it's been 7 hours and fifteen days' doh!! After she left the stage we went to find food and use the toilets. They were getting worse by the minute and several people had taken it upon themselves to find alternative methods. For example to the side of where we were queueing there was about 5/6 people. Four were holding large dark coloured ponchos/jackets etc around two people who were.............well I think you can imagine!! We managed to get some chips from one of the many vans and went to stand just a short way away from it, next to it were all these blokes doing their business against the fence and the girls were starting to join them!! Not a pretty sight when we were eating. We were having a laugh and it had stopped raining quite so much by this point which was nice, as we started talking about Pink we realised it was six and she was on stage and we were supposed to be meeting Sarah!! So we made our way back to the main stage and met up with Sarah at the t-shirt stand. We then found somewhere to stand for the rest of the night at the main stage. We wanted to go a bit further in from where we were the previous night as when the Killers had been on stage you could still hear the dance tent. So we got in as far as the sound/mixing desk, as there was a barrier all the way around it, this provided the perfect place for Sarah to lean and us to protect Wayne and his back, but still have enough room for dancing. We didn't have a great view from there but that was a small price to pay!!

Pink was really good, she performed all my favourites and more that I didn't even recognise. The songs I remember are: Who Knew, Dear Mr President, Leave Me Alone, U and Ur Hand, Trouble and even a version of the 4 Non Blondes What's Up. She danced around and her vocals were really good, given the chance I probably would go and see her again!! Next up was Snow Patrol, they were also really good too. The singer seemed to get really choked up when we sang any of the songs, the one I remember in particular was Run. Even after 11/12 years of being together that feeling obviously never dies for a band. He mentioned it was their last gig in England for a while and that it was a great high to go out on!! He dedicated a song to Dave Grohl (can't remember which one) and when they finished playing it, Dave came on stage to give the singer a hug. Couldn't believe it was Dave to begin with, he just appeared!! One of their songs on the last album was a duet and the lady (Martha Wainwright) was there to sing it with them which they were very happy about, apparently that had only happened a couple of times!! He also said they were going to marry, but I think he was joking. The songs I remember were: Run, You're All I Have, Chasing Cars, Open Your Eyes, Set The Fire To The Third Bar and Spitting Games. Trina and I both agree that we should go and see them again, but only if they were playing local. Unfortunately at one point during their set, we were all standing there nicely and 3 blokes had appeared behind us. One tried to start a fight with Wayne, which gave Trina a heart attack practically and so that caused a bit of a bad atmosphere. I had been standing next to Wayne at the time and I didn't see anything untoward the bloke that sparked him off, I think he was just in the mood for a fight and I have a feeling that if Wayne hadn't had a broken back, he could've been provoked to fight back!! Trina and I both stepped in though and Trina moved Wayne to where she had been standing so he was leaning against the barrier. It was quite tense until the blokes walked off!!

There was another break after Snow Patrol and more text messages, they were getting funnier..........some examples..'Don't move I've lost my contact lens' 'Poncho, poncho man, I wanna be a poncho man' 'Just to let you know that your cars are all stuck in the mud' 'Matt Damon' 'Ruby, ruby, ruby' which had the crowd sing 'ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh', but it appeared again 'ruby ruby ruby now sing it.......' and the crowd did it again. Trina sent in two, one to thank the lovely guy in the toilet queue for telling us about 606 and 'everything is average nowadays' which did get displayed. Also at some point a bloke wearing a Mick Jagger mask appeared and was dancing around ~ it looked very funny!!

Eventually Dave walked on stage, just like that!! I didn't even realise he was there, and he started with Everlong!! You have NO idea how wrong that is!! We had only seen them at Mancheter prior to V and they had finished the show with Everlong, yet here he was starting it with Everlong, what was going on? I felt like it was anti-climax, like we had had the gig and that was it, yet we hadn't!! Didn't like that one bit, plus it was accoustic everlong! But when the song kicked in the rest of the band had joined him on stage, so I got the feeling we were in for a good show. They rocked out with classic hits mixed in with a couple from the new album. It was BRILLIANT...........we headbanged, sang along even though the people around us thought we were mad!! Especially during Monkey Wrench when we kept singing and everyone else had stopped. At some point when Dave was saying hello he brought his mum on stage, that was funny, bless her!! The band actually wore me out and when they came out for the encore they played Pretender which we had all been waiting for, that was the killer!! I was out of breath from jumping around etc.......I think you could safely say we created an atmosphere though as everyone around us were jumping and dancing along it was good fun. They played Everlong/Monkey Wrench/Learn To Fly/Cheer Up Boys/Pretender/All My Life/Best of You/Times Like These/Breakout/This is A Call and many more. We were on such a high when they finished and some people covered from head to toe in mud said we looked too clean and offered to get us dirty. My trainers were disgusting by this point coz they were covered in mud and had holes in them so everytime I walked I squelched!! My socks got equally as muddy by this point too!!

I shall leave you there for now...............Hope your all having a good week xx

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can just imagine you pogoing away there. Fair wears me out just thinking about it.

B. x

Anonymous said...

i hate when i get a bruise and cant remember what happened IM 19!!

Anonymous said...

Sad to say I am not up on today's  music but it centainly sounds as if you had a great time not including the loos. Don't know what I would do in that situation. Love Joan.

Anonymous said...

A wet cold and an emotional weekend huh?
Sounds like one of mine lolol.
Gaz xx

Anonymous said...

How are your squelchy trainers?
:o)
You always make me smile Jenny Jen.
Are you really blue in the face now though?
Sara   xxx

Anonymous said...

Still catching up ,yes as your siggy said you rock Jen ..love Jan xx