Tuesday 31 May 2005

Part 5 - Comedians and Condoms

Hi everyone :-)  Glad your still enjoying this!!  FAO: Sandra - one of the ladies I queued with totaled up the amount of hours she had spent in queues.  Bearing in mind she did more gigs than I did, her grand total was 168 hours - so there you go!!  Today at work was a flippin' nightmare which means it can only be better tomorrow can't it??  Anyway to cheer myself up I shall write Part 5 of my contuining saga ;-)

PART 5 - COMEDIANS AND CONDOMS

When I was re-reading yesterdays entry I reminded myself that before I went down the steps in Manchester seperated from Trina I almost started crying.  I couldn't believe I had been up before 6am and was having to put up with this crap.  I had no idea how many rows back I would be and that wasn't why I had got up!!  I think that was just my tiredness creeping up on me!!  Anyway back to todays entry.......When I looked at the spot where we had been standing the night before Trina was there at the barrier spread out wide saving me a space.  I was so relieved to find her!!  I managed to crawl in but the silly place was making everyone sit down.  The bloke next to me gave me an evil glare  and Trina asked the woman next to her to move up a bit.  She explained that we'd been queueing all day, this woman however reckoned she had been too.  Right whatever love!!  Didn't recall her face from the queue - silly cow!!  Main thing was I'd got in and managed to find Trina and the barrier, which I desperately needed being so tired!!  I'm really glad I have a mate like Trina :-)

The gig was good but up until a point I don't think I was enjoying myself.  The tiredness wasn't helping but neither did some other factors which will be mentioned in a min!!  The set list was basically the same as Newcastle.  Here are the highlights:  At the end of Can't Get Enough, Roger and Brian just stopped and were waiting for the next chord, it looked hilarious as Roger was ready to crash the cymbals but just stood there like someone had taken a picture :-)  Eventually they gave up on the idea and carried on playing it so they could finish properly.  Paul did some weird dancing to the crowd in the seats and they repeated it back to him LOL.......When Roger came to the front for Say It's Not True he asked if anyone had any condoms and we chucked 'em all onto the stage.  His eyes nearly popped out of his head, we could tell he loved that.  They were flying at him from all different directions.  Jamie and Danny bent down and picked some up and pocketed them ha ha ha........Roger's girlfriend, his wife and eldest daughter came out in front of the barrier at one point, (they weren't on my side thank god but they were in my eyeline!!!  It was the first time I'd ever seen his wife in the flesh, I couldn't get over how small she is!!  The main thing for me though and to keep my jealousy below surface he didn't sing to them.  Apparently he had done at other gigs!!) During Crazy Little Thing Brian's guitar packed in, (i think!!) and it sounded quite strange listening to the track with no guitar, just accoustic played by Jamie.  During Bri's solo spot he kept getting interference, which apparently was the local cab's radios.  You could tell by his face he was not amused about this.  During the beginning part to Hammer to Fall it sounded like everything was ok and no more interference so he sang along to the tune 'so far so good.'  It was quite funny.

I was about to put this gig down as the worst I'd been to so far, (obviously couldn't stand the pace), when they went off.  After an encore two blokes were walking out singing accapella style.  I suddenly realised it was Peter Kay and Patrick McGuiness and they were singing 'Road to Nowhere'.  I went mad...........(regular journallers may remember I've mentioned them a couple of times when they mentioned Queen in the programme!)   I couldn't believe it!!  Also I find Patrick McGuiness rather cute :-)

  They made their way down the catwalk and sung a little bit of 'Amarillo' (this had quickly become the 'official' queue song) so we looked at Sarah who was also going mad for this!!  Peter Kay then introduced the band and said they were gonna do Under Pressure.  This was the first time it was played on the tour and the band came out and Brian said 'It's better to do Under Pressure badly than not at all so that's what we're gonna do now.'  Roger just told him to 'put your guitar on' LOL...........They did it rather well I thought and felt proud I'd witnessed it :-)

At the end of the show Peter and Patrick came out again and ran down the catwalk.  Peter also commented that in two weeks time they would've been at number one the same amount of time as Bohemian Rhapsody (ie: 9 weeks)!!  Roger put his finger up to them and said that there was no way that was gonna happen.  He also hugged Patrick (I liked that bit :-).  At the very end they walk down the catwalk, Roger kicks Spike to make him move.  He also counts when they bow before the encore.

After the gig we all met up and discussed the gig.  Sarah, Gavin and Cat had managed to blag their stay with James in his hotel, so they decided to head back and have a few drinks.  I was knackered, so I declined the offer to go with them but Trina and I waited for Roger and Brian to leave.  Brian was first and waved again.  Roger left not long afterwards and waved.  Trina and I said goodbye to Matt and Michelle.  (We'd met Matt years ago but had never kept in touch and it was lovely to see him again!!)  We made our way back to the hotel with me singing Road to Nowhere all the way and looked forward to some sleep and a day off :-)

 

Oh I forgot to mention my ticket!!  Trina went to get some back and I said I wasn't that bothered.  She got two and gave me one anyway - when I looked at the name I started going mad...........she'd given me Mr Taylor's ticket LOL.......................... see :-)!!

05/05/2005 - DAY OFF - travelled from Manchester to home

06/05/2005 - BIRMINGHAM NEC ARENA

 As we had, had the previous day off Trina and I didn't manage to get to Birmingham till about 10ish.  There was quite a few people in the queue by this point.  All the regulars, plus two people I know from QOL Pam & Susan otherwise known as funster and fairy.  They had been to Newcastle and Manchester.  In Manchester they had had seats so didn't bother to queue, but the bug had bit them for Birmingham and had joined us all :-)  Trina and I had debated whether to get up at 4am and get there earlier but decided against it as we would have to do that for Cardiff as it was being held on a Saturday.  We made ourselves comfortable for the long wait!!  Madness set in during this queue coz we started singing (rather badly and quite out of tune!)  I can't remember too much about this queue except Vern went all the way back to Peterborough and got back in time for doors opening.  Michelle who had been drinking JD nearly all day jumped on me and we both ended up on the floor.  I was just extremely grateful that nobody in the queue didn't laugh out loud when she did it coz it was quite embarrasing.  She also got everyone in the queue to sign her arm, and got more condoms.  This time they were flavoured etc.......LOL........

Not much of a cliff hanger but I don't wanna bore you too much ;-)  Look out for tomorrow's installment, who would turn up in Birmingham?  Would security be any better than Manchester?  Would I lose Trina AGAIN??  Stay tuned :-)

Best wishes

Jen xx

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you caught up on your sleep after that. It did sound as though you had a great time there, though it makes me tired at the thought of all that queuing...big yawn...!  You`ve got more great photos too. Can`t wait to hear what`s next! :-)

Sandra xxx

Anonymous said...

After a holiday like this, you must need to get back to work - just for a rest, lol! You must have been truly knackered. But it all sounds great fun - especially the condom-fest! :-)

David.

Anonymous said...

Started off with some hic-ups but turned out well in the end.  Gawd you must have been tired. He liked the condom saga then lolol.  Pity they lost the sound of the instruments but at least he carried on.  Don't know where you get your energy from Jen  I'd be flat out for the count after all that.~xxR

Anonymous said...

Glad you found Trina :o)
Sounds like a lot of fun, they must love when people do stuff, like with the throwing condoms thing.  You're all crazy, but good crazy ;o)
Sara   x